Pursuant to section 11(3) of the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004 (“Act”), the Minister of Fisheries, after complying with the requirements in section 11(4) of the Act, gives the following notice.
1. Title and Commencement
(1) This notice may be cited as the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement (Extension to Negotiation Period for the Canterbury Region) Notice 2018.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
In this notice:
- Act means the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004.
- Canterbury region negotiation period means the period up to and including 30 August 2018 applying to the Canterbury region, having already been extended under the following New Zealand Gazette notices (New Zealand Gazette, 26 June 2014, No. 68, page 1924, New Zealand Gazette, 26 November 2015, Issue No. 128, Notice No. 2015-go6886, New Zealand Gazette, 24 November 2016, Issue No. 108, Notice No. 2016-go6669, and New Zealand Gazette, 24 August 2017, Issue No. 86, Notice No. 2017-go4348) from the original date of 30 September 2014 provided for in section 11(2)(b) of the Act within which the Crown must use its best endeavours to negotiate and enter into regional agreements that provide for the Crown to meet its obligations in respect of new space for that region.
- Region has the same meaning as in section 4 of the Act.
3. Extensions to Negotiation Period
Under section 11(3) of the Act, the Canterbury region negotiation period referred to in clause 2 of this notice is extended to 30 September 2018.
Dated at Wellington this 8th day of August 2018.
Hon STUART NASH, Minister of Fisheries.