This instrument is made under section 102(2) of the Housing Restructuring and Tenancy Matters Act 1992 (“Act”) by the Minister of Finance, the Minister of Housing, and the Minister for Social Development, after consultation with the agency appointed under section 100 of the Act, the authority appointed under section 159 of the Act, and any social housing providers that, in the Minister’s opinion, will be materially affected.
1. Title—This instrument is the Ministerial Direction on Eligibility for Social Housing Amendment 2017.
2. Commencement—This instrument comes into force on the 28th day after its publication in the New Zealand Gazette.
3. Principal direction—This instrument amends the Ministerial Direction on Eligibility for Social Housing given on 14 April 20141 (“principal direction”).
4. Clause 3 amended (Interpretation)—In clause 3, delete the definition of specified area.
5. Clause 6 amended (Income and asset thresholds)—In clause 6.4, replace “Schedule 2” with “Schedule 3”.
6. Clause 7 amended (Housing need)—Revoke clause 7.3.
Dated at Wellington this 31st day of July 2017.
Hon STEVEN JOYCE, Minister of Finance.
Hon AMY ADAMS, Minister for Social Housing (as Minister for Social Housing and also exercising the powers of the Minister for Social Development and the Minister of Housing under the authority of the Prime Minister).
This note is not part of the instrument, but is intended to indicate its general effect.
This instrument, which comes into force on the 28th day after its publication in the New Zealand Gazette, amends the Ministerial Direction on Eligibility for Social Housing. It removes the social housing agency’s discretion to disregard accessibility or affordability when determining the housing need of social housing applicants living in Canterbury. It also corrects a drafting error in Clause 6.4. This instrument is a disallowable instrument for the purposes of the Legislation Act 2012.