The Rt Hon Dame PATSY REDDY, gnzm, qso,
- An Order in Council dated 30 July 19231 (“order”), made under the British Settlements Act 1887 (UK), appoints the Governor-General of New Zealand to be the Governor of the Ross Dependency (“Governor”) and vests in the Governor certain powers.
- The order empowers the Governor to make rules and regulations for the peace, order, and good government of the Ross Dependency.
- Regulations made by the Governor on 14 November 19232 provide that all persons appointed by the Governor may be empowered to do such things as may be necessary or desirable to ensure that the laws in force in the Ross Dependency are duly observed and complied with in every respect, and to do all things necessary or expedient for the peace, order, and good government of the Ross Dependency, and to safeguard and preserve Her Majesty The Queen’s rights and sovereignty over and in respect of the Ross Dependency.
- It is now expedient that Rosemary Forrester be appointed as an officer of the Government of the Ross Dependency.
Now therefore I, The Right Honourable Dame Patsy Reddy, the Governor-General of New Zealand, and as such the Governor of the Ross Dependency, appoint
to be an officer of the Government of the Ross Dependency while she acts as Senior New Zealand Representative at Scott Base during the period beginning with the date of this appointment and ending with the close of 20 October 2017.
I confer on Rosemary Forrester, while she holds office as an officer of the Government of the Ross Dependency, all the powers exercisable in New Zealand by a Justice of the Peace.
Rosemary Forrester is to exercise her functions at such places within the Ross Dependency as may be directed by an officer of the Government of the Dependency who has the general executive and administrative authority in preserving Her Majesty The Queen’s rights and sovereignty and the laws in force in the Ross Dependency.
Given under the hand of Her Excellency the Governor-General as the Governor of the Ross Dependency and issued this 13th day of March 2017.
MURRAY McCULLY, Minister of Foreign Affairs.
God Save The Queen!
1. New Zealand Gazette, 16 August 1923, No. 63, page 2211.
2. New Zealand Gazette, 15 November 1923, No. 80, page 2815.