Pursuant to section 11 of the Fisheries Act 1996, the Minister for Primary Industries, after having regard to the matters specified in sections 5, 9, 10, 11, and 12, gives the following notice.
1. Title—This notice is the Fisheries (Huriawa Peninsula Paua Harvest Closure) Notice 2016.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
Paua means any shellfish of the species Haliotis iris and Haliotis australis.
Huriawa Peninsula area means the area:
- commencing at a point on the mean high-water mark (at 45°38.465′S and 170°39.712′E);
- then proceeding north-east to a point 225m offshore (at 45°38.320′S and 170°39.768′E);
- then proceeding generally east then west around the Huriawa Peninsula along a line every point of which is 225m from the mean high-water mark to a point offshore that is 225m south of the mean high-water mark (at 45°38.669′S and 170°39.793′E);
- then proceeding north-west to a point (at 45°38.557′S and 170°39.726′E); and
- then proceeding generally east then west along the mean high-water mark around the Huriawa Peninsula to the point of commencement.
3. Commencement—This notice comes into force on 29 September 2016.
4. Huriawa Peninsula closed for the taking of paua—A person must not take paua from the Huriawa Peninsula, or possess paua taken from the Huriawa Peninsula, while this notice is in force.
Dated at Wellington this 25th day of August 2016.
Hon NATHAN GUY, Minister for Primary Industries.