Under clause 3 of Schedule 25 to the Education and Training Act 2020 I direct the governing bodies of all registered schools who offer education at Years 12 and 13 in the Alert Level 3 area to comply with the following requirements from 1 September 2021:
- Students at Year 12 and 13 must be learning from home unless the following conditions can be met:
- In the opinion of the principal or professional leader (as the case may be) of the school, there is an educational need for a student or students in Year 12 or 13 to physically attend the school; and
- Where students at year levels 12 and 13 need to physically attend school, the governing body of the school ensures that numbers are kept as low as possible; and
- Physical distancing is observed at all times – one metre inside and two metres outside;
- Students are organised into bubbles of no more than 10 with one teacher;
- The student make-up of each bubble does not change throughout Alert Level 3;
- Bubbles do not mix with each other inside or outside in the school grounds;
- A teacher is not associated with more than one bubble of students (but a bubble of students can have more than one teacher throughout Alert Level 3);
- Rigorous hand washing and drying is adhered to and hand sanitiser is available at the entrance to classrooms;
- Students and teachers are asked to go home if they are unwell;
- Where necessary, changes are made to usual timetabling and class sizes to support (a)–(g) above; and
- The governing body of the school has caused to be sent to me in a form I have provided, an attestation that the above requirements have been met.
- Every governing body of a registered school must ensure that their school complies with all applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Orders in all other respects.
I am satisfied that the making of this direction is reasonably necessary to manage adverse effects, mitigate the consequences and facilitate coordination of senior secondary education in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
In this direction:
Alert Level 3 area has the same meaning as defined in the applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Order 2021.
Terms in this direction that are defined in the Education and Training Act 2020 have the same meanings defined in that Act.
The previous Direction Under the Education and Training Act 2020 to all Registered Schools Offering Education to Years 12 and 13 in the COVID-19 Alert Level 3 Area (New Zealand Gazette, 18 August 2020, Notice No. 2020-go3785) is revoked.
Dated this 31st day of August 2021.
IONA HOLSTED, Secretary for Education.