In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Republic of Sierra Leone as defined, from 1 August 1998 up to and including 30 June 2005, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Sierra Leone – The geographic area of Sierra Leone includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated at independence on 27 April 1961 and all subsequent, recognised agreements. The territory of Sierra Leone is defined by recognised boundary agreements with neighbouring Guinea including pre-independence Anglo-French agreements from 1882 to 1913, as well as with neighbouring Liberia including pre-independence Anglo-Liberian agreements of 1885, 1911, 1917 and 1930. The geographic area of Sierra Leone also includes the 12 nm territorial sea extending seaward from the low water line of all relevant islands and coastlines in accordance with The Maritime Zones (Establishment) Decree of 1996.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Sierra Leone will supersede the declaration made on 6 September 2000 by Mark Burton, Minister of Internal Affairs, for service as part of the United Nations’ Observers Mission in Sierra Leone (UNOMSIL) from 11 August 1998 until 31 October 1999 and subsequent service with the United Nations Mission Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) from 1 November 1999 onwards.
3. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.