Pursuant to section 66 of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (“Act”), the Environmental Protection Authority issues the following notice.
This notice is the Hazardous Substances (Paraquat-Containing Substances Direction Prohibiting Use and Controlling Storage and Disposal) Notice 2020.
This notice comes into force on 12 November 2020.
(1) In this notice, words and phrases have the meanings given to them in the Act and in Regulations made under the Act.
(2) In this notice, the following words have the following meanings:
Substance containing paraquat means any of the following substances:
Gramoxone Inteon approved under the Act until 12 December 2020 with approval number HSR007847;
Preeglone Inteon approved under the Act until 12 December 2020 with approval number HSR007854;
Uniquat 250 approved under the Act until 12 December 2020 with approval number HSR100443;
Parable 250 approved under the Act until 12 December 2020 with approval number HSR100572.
4. Prohibition on Use
No person may use a substance containing paraquat after 12 December 2020.
5. Controls on Substances Containing Paraquat until 12 December 2020
For avoidance of doubt, the controls set out for the approvals for the substances containing paraquat remain in effect for the substances containing paraquat until 12 December 2020.
6. Controls on Disposal of Substances Containing Paraquat
(1) All substances containing paraquat must be disposed of by 12 December 2020.
(2) Substances containing paraquat must be disposed of in accordance with the controls set out for the approvals for the substances containing paraquat.
(3) When stored for the purpose of disposal, substances containing paraquat must not be mixed with any other substances.
Dated at Wellington this 15th day of October 2020.
Dr NGAIRE PHILLIPS, for and on behalf of the Environmental Protection Authority.