Pursuant to section 161D(1)(e) of the Climate Change Response Act 2002, I, The Honourable James Shaw, Minister for Climate Change, give the following notice.
1. Title and commencement—
(1) This notice may be cited as the Call for the Provision of Electricity Contract Related Information (Aluminium Smelting) Notice 2018.
(2) This notice takes effect from and including 6 December 2018.
2. Interpretation—Unless the context otherwise requires:
aluminium smelting has the meaning given to it in Regulation 7(3) of the Climate Change (Eligible Industrial Activities) Regulations 2010.
2015 amended electricity contract means the amended electricity related contract between New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited and Meridian Energy Limited dated 31 July 2015.
2018 electricity contract means the electricity related agreement between New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited and Meridian Energy Limited dated 30 April 2018.
NZAS means the company registered as New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited.
3. Electricity contract related information required to be provided—
(1) NZAS must provide the Ministry for the Environment, within 30 working days of the date of this notice, with the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a)–3(3)(d) of this notice.
(2) NZAS must provide the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a)–3(3)(d) in respect of the activity of aluminium smelting and for the period 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2019.
NZAS must provide actual values for historic time periods where such information is known.
For time periods in the future, or where such actual information is not known, NZAS must provide its best estimate of the most likely values as at the date of this notice.
(3) NZAS must provide:
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month under NZAS’s 2015 amended electricity contract from 1 July 2017;
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month under NZAS’s 2018 electricity contract from 1 July 2017;
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month that was purchased on the electricity spot market or purchased under any electricity supply contract other than the 2015 amended electricity contract or the 2018 electricity contract; and
- any other changes to contract parameters relevant to determining the NZAS allocative baseline for 2018 and 2019, including whether NZAS has entered into any other electricity supply contracts whose term extends beyond two years from the date of this notice.
4. NZAS may provide any additional information that it believes will assist the Minister in making a determination.
Dated at Wellington this 24th day of November 2018.
Hon JAMES SHAW, Minister for Climate Change.