In accordance with section 11(3) of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority (“Authority”) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice is the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 227 (Giving Energy Limited)) Exemption Amendment Notice 2015.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Amendment to principal exemption—Replace clause 3 of the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 227 (Giving Energy Limited)) Exemption Notice 20151 (“the principal exemption”) with:
“3. Term—This exemption expires at the earlier of:
- the close of 23 April 2016; and
- Giving Energy being responsible for more than 75 installation control points.”
3. Reasons for this amendment—The reasons for amending the principal exemption are as follows:
- the amendment meets the requirements in section 11(3) of the Act for amending exemptions;
- amending the exemption will help a small new entrant retailer to remain in the market, which could lead to increased competition for the long-term benefit of consumers;
- an Authority-approved auditor conducted an initial audit of Giving Energy Limited (“Giving Energy”) in February 2015, which indicated that Giving Energy meets the requirements relevant to the functions in clause 15.38 for which it is seeking certification;
- the amendment will allow Giving Energy time to develop more comprehensive procedures and documentation essential for ISO 9001 quality management certification; and
- due to the small number of installation control points involved, the amendment to the exemption will have little or no impact on other participants and service providers, and will not affect any other provisions of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010.
Dated at Wellington this 24th day of August 2015.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
Hon ROGER SOWRY, onzm, Member, Electricity Authority.