Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Building Act 2004
("the Act"), I give notice that a compliance document for
a simple house ("Simple House Acceptable Solution") has been issued.
Simple House Acceptable Solution takes effect on 31 March 2010 and is available for download free of charge from the Department of Building and Housing (DBH) website at
Material incorporated by reference
Pursuant to sections 405 and 410(1)(e) of the Act, I give notice that the following material will be incorporated by reference into Simple House Acceptable Solution:
- NZS 2295:2006
- NZS 3109:1997 (Amendments 1 and 2)
- NZS 3602:2003
- NZS 3603:1993 (Amendments 1, 2 and 4)
- NZS 3604:1999 (Amendments 1 and 2)
- NZS 3605:2001
- NZS 3617:1979
- NZS 3622:2004 (Amendment 1)
- NZS 3631:1988
- NZS 3640:2003 (Amendment 4)
- NZS 4121:2001
- NZS 4206:1992
- NZS 4210:2001
- NZS 4211:1985 (Amendments 1, 2 and 3)
- NZS 4217:1:1980
- NZS 4217:2:1980
- NZS 4223:1:2008
- NZS 4223:2:1985 (Amendments 1 and 2)
- NZS 4223:3:1999 (Amendment 1)
- NZS 4223:4:2008
- NZS 4246:2006
- NZS 4402:2:1986
- NZS 4431:1989 (Amendment 1)
- NZS 4606:1:1989 (Amendments 1, 2 and 3)
- NZS 4606:2:1989 (Amendment A)
- NZS 4606:3:1992 (Amendment A)
- NZS 5261:2003 (Amendment 1)
- NZS 5262:2003 (Amendment 1)
- AS 1111:1:2000
- AS 1111:2:2000
- AS 1214:1983
- AS 1397:2001
- AS 1547:2000
- AS 1804:1976
- AS 2049:2002
- AS 2870:1996
- AS 3566:2:2002
- AS 3730:7:1992
- AS 3730:8:1992
- AS 3730:9:1992
- AS 3730:10:1992
- AS/NZS 1260:1999
- AS/NZS 1547:2000
- AS/NZS 1604:3:2002
- AS/NZS 1734:1997
- AS/NZS 1859:1:2002
- AS/NZS 2269:2004
- AS/NZS 2588:1998
- AS/NZS 2699:1:2000
- AS/NZS 2699:2:2000
- AS/NZS 2699:3:2002
- AS/NZS 2712:2007
- AS/NZS 2728:2007
- AS/NZS 2908:2:2000
- AS/NZS 2918:2001
- AS/NZS 3000:2007
- AS/NZS 3350:2.35:1999
- AS/NZS 3500:1:2003 (Amendment 1)
- AS/NZS 3500:2:2003 (Amendment 1)
- AS/NZS 3500:4:2003 (Amendment 1)
- AS/NZS 3500:5:2003
- AS/NZS 4200:1:1994 (Amendment 1)
- AS/NZS 4256:2:1994
- AS/NZS 4455:1997
- AS/NZS 4456:2003 (Amendments 1 and 2)
- AS/NZS 4586:2004
- AS/NZS 4671:2001
- AS/NZS 4680:2006
- AS/NZS 4936:2002
- AS/NZS 60335.2.30:2009
- ASTM C1549:2002
- ASTM D6134:1997
- ASTM E96:1992
- ASTM E903:1996
- ISO 11600:2002
- ISO/TS 15510:2003
- Federal Specification Standard TT-5-002230C
- BRANZ Bulletin 330:1995 Thin flooring materials - Preparation and laying
- BRANZ Bulletin 411:2001 Recommended domestic wastewater management
- BRANZ House Insulation Guide - 3rd Edition, with 2008 Supplement
- BRANZ Technical paper P21:1991 A wall bracing test and evaluation procedure
- BRANZ Evaluation Method EM1 Structural joints - strength and stiffness evaluation
- BRANZ Supplement to P21 An evaluation method of P21 test results for use with NZS 3604:1990
- Ministry of Health: 2005 Drinking Water Standards for New Zealand
- Ministry of Health: 2006 Household water supplies: the selection, operation and maintenance of individual household water supplies
Purchase of material incorporated by reference
The materials incorporated by reference described above may be purchased directly from the following sources:
- For all NZS and AS/NZS: Standards New Zealand, Radio New Zealand House, Level 10, 155 The Terrace, Wellington, or online at
- For all AS and AS/NZS: SAI Global Business Publishing, GPO Box 5420, Sydney, New South Wales 2001, Australia, or online at
- For all ASTM:
- For BRANZ publications: BRANZ Bookshop online at
- For ICBO Evaluation Services Inc Ac 148:
- For ISO 11600:2002 and ISO/TS 15510:2003
- For ISO/TS 15510:2003: Online at
- For Ministry of Health publications, call to purchase on (04) 496 2277 or download for free online at
Copies of material incorporated by reference are also available through the DBH National Office and through
all DBH offices.
Viewing materials incorporated by reference
Materials incorporated by reference are available for inspection free of charge at the DBH National Office,
Level 6, 86 Customhouse Quay, Wellington, between
the hours of 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
The material incorporated by reference relates to matters referred to in section 410(1)(c) of the Act.
It is available for inspection free of charge at all DBH office during working hours.
DBH office locations
The DBH office locations are as follows:
National office in Wellington: Level 6, 86 Customhouse Quay.
Auckland office: Level 3, 41 Shortland Street.
Manukau office: 7 Ronwood Avenue.
Hamilton office: 2nd Floor, 36 Bryce Street.
Christchurch office: Level 2, 10 Nelson Street.
Porirua Tenancy Services Centre: 1st Floor, Housing Corporation Building, 1 Walton Leigh Avenue.
DBH also has tenancy service delivery locations in:
Whangarei, Henderson, Takapuna, Tauranga, Rotorua, Gisborne, Napier, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Lower Hutt, Nelson, Blenheim, Greymouth, Timaru, Dunedin and Invercargill.
To make an appointment at one of these locations to view
or purchase material incorporated by reference, freephone 0800 836 262.
Dated at Wellington this 23rd day of March 2010.
DAVID KELLY, Deputy Chief Executive, Building Quality, Department of Building and Housing.