Pursuant to section 11(3) of the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004 (“Act”), the Minister of Fisheries, after complying with the requirements in section 11(4) of the Act, gives the following notice.
1. Title and commencement
(1) This notice may be cited as the Māori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement (Extension to Southland Region Negotiation Period) No. 2 Notice 2019.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
In this notice:
- Southland region negotiation period means the period applying to the Southland region, provided for in section 11(2)(b) of the Act, within which the Crown must use its best endeavours to negotiate and enter into regional agreements that provide for the Crown to meet its obligations in respect of new space for that region. The negotiation period has already been extended five times (under New Zealand Gazette, 5 March 2015, Issue No. 20, Notice No. 2015-go1323, New Zealand Gazette, 26 November 2015, Issue No. 128, Notice No. 2015-go6886, New Zealand Gazette, 24 November 2016, Issue No. 108, Notice No. 2016-go6669, New Zealand Gazette, 22 February 2018, Notice No. 2018-go837, and New Zealand Gazette, 11 February 2019, Notice No. 2019-go682) from the original date of 27 March 2015.
- Region has the same meaning as in section 4 of the Act.
3. Extension to negotiation period
The Southland region negotiation period is extended to 31 May 2020.
Dated at Wellington this 21st day of August 2019.
Hon STUART NASH, Minister of Fisheries.